After two kids I definitely feel as though I have got the “essentials” down when it comes to the diaper bag. By the time my daughter was 18 months old I wasn’t even carrying a diaper bag (keep wipes and diapers in the car). There were many times I felt I had TOO much stuff in the diaper bag that I couldn’t even find what I was looking for. So, here it goes!
If you’re interested in my diaper bag, click here to take a look. I switched from a traditional tote style diaper bag to a backpack after having my second baby. I HIGHLY recommend that because it is much easier to carry the carseat, hold the toddler’s hand and put the diaper bag on your back!
- Diapers and wipes (obviously).
- Hand sanitizer
- Water bottle (for yourself and baby depending on their age!)
- Burp cloths/muslin blankets: I typically prefer to use the muslin blankets for everything, including if there’s a little spit up. The burp cloths can get bulky because you’d usually want to pack a few since they’re small.
- Snacks for both you and baby (I may have eaten Bailey’s goldfish one too many times) Click here to grab my personal favorite snack cup!
- A few toys (and definitely a coloring book and crayons if you’ve a toddler!) I don’t know why I JUST thought about throwing a coloring book in the diaper bag but it has been a life saver! Whether we’re sitting at a restaurant or in a store for too long, it’s definitely come in handy.
- Extra outfit for baby
- Light blanket (again, I like to use the muslin ones) Click here to check out my favorite Aden and Anais blankets!
- Bibs: I have forgotten bibs so many times and I just cringe at the thought of giving my 6 month old baby food without them.
- Plastic bags: We can all hope that there is a public trash can around when we’re changing a dirty diaper, but I have found myself in numerous situations where I’ve got a poopy diaper on my hands and nowhere else to put it. The plastic bag at least gives you something to keep the diaper in until you find a trash can!
***BONUS: Baby wrap! A lightweight wrap like the Solly Baby Wrap fits right into the diaper bag and only takes up as much space as a small blanket!
These diaper bag must-haves are probably very obvious to many, but as a new mom I had no idea what I NEEDED until I was out and about and realized I had everything I didn’t need rather than what I actually needed.
What are you diaper bag must-haves or hacks?!